Mostly Eklutna And Anvik, Alaska: [circa 1929]. Item #2160
125 black and white photographs adhesive mounted to 12 leaves of found cardboard or construction paper measuring from 13” x 18½” to 13” x 24½”. Photos measure from 2½” x 3½” to 3½” x 5¾” and nearly all are captioned. Photos generally very good plus or better, a few are faded. A collection of photographs documenting two Alaska towns: Anvik and Eklutna, possibly compiled by a female missionary for the Christ Church Mission in Anvik. Approximately half the photos relate to Native Americans and the rest are devoted to surrounding areas and trips to other parts of Alaska. At least 31 photos depict Anvik, a tiny Athabascan village along the Yukon River, with most of those showing the Christ Church Mission. In 1887, the Reverends John Chapman and Octavius Parker of the American Episcopal Church started the mission. According to its application for placement in the National Register of Historic Places, “Christ Church Mission was one of the most significant Native educational, medical and religious centers in all of Alaska during the long span of years before government began providing the welfare services. ” Its most important function was the education of village children, and over time it grew to accept students from villages up and down the Yukon River, as well as providing health services. The images here include buildings at the mission including its church, boys and girls dorms, the infirmary and the teacher's cabin. There are also group shots of students as well as a couple of images of students at fish camp. One shot shows Reverend Chapman not long before he left Anvik after 43 years. While there he recorded Native American stories told in the language of Deg Hit'an Athabascan and he also wrote a memoir of his time, “Forty Years in Anvik. ” At least 47 photos show Eklutna. The village grew after the 1923 completion of the Alaska Railroad when the Bureau of Indian Affairs established an orphanage for Native American children. The orphanage was converted into a boarding school which became the Eklutna Industrial School. By the time of these photos, the school had around 110 students who came from all over Alaska. These students made up most of the village's population which showed 158 residents in the 1930 census (the approximate population today is 70). There are several shots of the buildings of the school including the barn, dormitories, and interior views of the dining room. Several photos of a Fourth of July celebration at the school show boxing matches and a pie eating contest. There's also a picture of the boys' basketball team, as well as one shot of students posing with snow shoes and a sled they made in school. Other images of Native Americans include women using nets along the shore to fish, logging, a store house, and a graveyard. Several show working dog sleds including one driven by a Native American woman. Other photos include breaking up of the ice of Anvik River as the weather warmed, the Spencer and Columbia Glaciers, a fish cannery, a trip to Juneau and more. There's also a nine-shot series depicting the recently finished Eklutna Dam and power station. Compelling images of Native Americans, their schools, and lifestyle in tiny Alaskan villages. This item is offered by Langdon Manor Books, LLC, antiquarian booksellers. Please do not hesitate to contact us for additional information and/or photos and we will respond promptly. We package our items carefully, ship daily, and have a no hassle returns policy--your satisfaction is guaranteed. We are members of the Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America (ABAA) , the International League of Antiquarian Booksllers (ILAB) and the Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA) and adhere to their rules of ethics.